Yorkville Post No. 522
History of Yorkville Post No. 522, Grand Army of the Republic
Based on a pamphlet written April 1, 1888.
Yorkville Post No. 522 received its charter August 21, 1885 mainly through the personal efforts of Comrades Benjamin F. Herrington and Samuel Hagerman. The following Comrades were mustered in September 5, 1885. Samuel Hagerman, Benjamin F. Herrington, John H. Riley, John Brydon, Jeremiah Evarts, Eli Ellis, Joseph Jenkinson, Lewis W. Harwig, John Fitzgerald, William G. Peterson, John B. Moulton, David B. Clark, Lathrop F. Hubbell, Henry Wright, Charles M. Hill, Ephraim F. Moulton, Paul C. Dearborn, Henry Weber, Hiram Bromley, Henry King, and William T. Linn, by Comrade J. H. Freeman, Post Commander of Aurora Post, assisted by twenty-five Comrades from that Post.
During the first year of its organization the membership of the Post increased to forty-eight. Since then there has been a steady and healthy growth, and it is to be hoped that every soldier in the vicinity will sooner or later enroll himself among our numbers. It can be now said that Yorkville Post is in flourishing condition. By the liberal contributions of the Comrades, and also by reason of patronage of the G. A. R. entertainment's by the citizens, a beautiful hall has been leased for a term of three years. It is nicely carpeted and furnished, and has every necessary convenience. The Post is out of debt, so the Comrades can say that now we have a home, a location and a name.
The Post now numbers over sixty Comrades, and more are coming, among which can be found many of our most prominent citizens, who are always on hand ready to do good, jealous of its reputation and zealous in the work of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Requirements for membership in the Grand Army of the Republic.
1. An honorable discharge;
2. A good moral character; and
3. Payment of membership fees.
Terms of Admission to Membership
|Muster in fees||$1.00||Badge||$ .50|
|First Quarter's dues||$ .50||Annual Dues||$2.00|
Annual dues payable quarterly, in advance
The objects to be accomplished by this organization, are to preserve and strengthen those kind and fraternal feelings which bind together the soldiers who united to suppress the late rebellion, and to perpetuate the memory and history of the dead. To assist such former comrades in arms, who are worthy, and were honorably discharged, that need help and protection; and to extend needful aid to the widows and orphans of those who have fallen. To maintain true allegiance to the United States of America, based upon a paramount respect for, and fidelity to the Constitution and the laws, to discountenances whatever tends to weaken loyalty, incites to insurrection, treason or rebellion, or in any manner impairs the efficiency and permanency of our free institutions, and to encourage the spread of universal liberty, equal rights, and justice to all men.
Previous Post Commanders were E. F. Moulton, September 5, 1885 to January 5, 1885; Benjamin F. Herrington, January 7, 1886 to January 5, 1887; and Milton E. Cornell, January 5, 1887 to January 5, 1888.
Post officers in 1888 were: Reuben W. Willett, Post Commander; Solon Smith Boomer, Senior Vice Commander; Andrew Welch, Junior Vice Commander; Gilbert B. Lester, Surgeon, Ephraim F. Moulton, Chaplain; Milton E. Cornell, Quartermaster; William A. Puterbaugh, Officer of the Day; Lathrop F. Hubbell, Officer of the Guard; William T. Linn, Sergeant Major; Franklin Moody Hobbs, Quartermaster Sergeant; and J. Stuart Wilson, Adjutant.
|Surname||Given Name||Organization Served In||Occupation|
|Ackley||Chester A.||Pvt. Co. K, 127th IL INF||Farmer|
|Alderman||Robert S.||Pvt. Co. K, 8th IL CAV||Butcher|
|Biddulph||George G.||Capt. Co. F, 36th IL INF (Transferred to another post.)||Salesman|
|Boomer||Aaron M.||Lt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Farmer|
|Boomer||Solon Smith||Cpl. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Farmer|
|Boyd||John S.||Cpl. Co. C, 147th IL INF||Farmer|
|Bromley||Hiram||Pvt. Co. D, 1st NY Light ART||Laborer|
|Brydon||John, Sr.||Pvt. Co. H, 13th IL CAV||R. R. Employee|
|Chappell||Henry||Pvt. Co. A, 156th IL INF||Carpenter|
|Churchill||George W.||2nd Lt. Co. C, 147th IL INF||Farmer|
|Clark||David B.||Pvt. Co. M, 10th IL CAV (Cons) & Pvt. Co. I, 65th IL INF||Farmer|
|Cooper||John||Pvt. Co. B, 36th IL INF||Harnessmaker|
|Cornell||Milton E.||Pvt. Co. E, 36th IL INF||Banker|
|Curran||Amos Davis||Sgt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Teacher|
|Dearborn||Paul C.||Pvt. Co. C, 27th Maine INF||Mason|
|Delancy||William Henry||Pvt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Farmer|
|Ellis||Eli||Vet. Surgeon, 13th IL CAV||Blacksmith|
|Evarts||Jeremiah||1st Lt. Co. F, 127th IL INF||Banker|
|Fay||John||Pvt. Co. K, 127th IL INF||Farmer|
|Fitzgerald||John||Pvt. Co. C, 53rd IL INF||Lawyer|
|Freeman||Julius, Dr.||Capt. Co. K, 8th IL CAV & Asst. Surgeon 104th IL INF||Physician|
|Gillam||Willett C.||Pvt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Farmer|
|Green||James, Jr.||Pvt. Co. H, 13th IL CAV||Laborer|
|Hagerman||Samuel||Cpl. Co. K, 20th IL INF & Orderly Sgt. Co. K, 20th IL INF||Justice of Peace|
|Harwig||Lewis W.||Pvt. Co. I, 11th IN INF||General Agent|
|Herrington||Benjamin Franklin||Cpl. Co. D, 11th MI INF & Staff Operator U. S. Military Telegraph||Lawyer|
|Hill||Charles McNair||Cpl. Co. K, 20th IL INF||Farmer|
|Hill||Thomas P.||Sgt. Co. E, 36th IL INF||Clerk|
|Hobbs||Franklin Moody||Capt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Merchant|
|Howes||Edwin E.||Cpl. Co. K, 20th IL INF||Farmer|
|Hubbell||Lathrop F.||Pvt. Co. I, 141st IL INF||Laborer|
|Hughes||Nathan||Pvt. Co. B, 29th U.S. Colored Troops||Farmer|
|Jenkinson||Joseph||Pvt. Co. E, 36th IL INF||Stock Dealer|
|King||Henry||Pvt. Co. A, 13th IL CAV (Transferred to another post.)||Blacksmith|
|Lester||Gilbert B., Dr.||Asst. Surgeon 6th U. S. INF||Physician|
|Linn||William T.||Pvt. Co. C, 69th IL INF||Farmer|
|Manley||George||Cpl. Co. M, 3rd NY ART||Mason|
|Marshall||John Redman||Pvt. Sturges Independent Company Rifles, IL Volunteers||Printer|
|McCloud||Wallace||1st Sgt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Farmer|
|Moulton||Ephraim F.||Capt. Co. G, 146th IL INF||Farmer|
|Moulton||John B.||1st Lt. Co. K, 127th IL INF||Farmer|
|Patterson||Alexander||Cpl. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Farmer|
|Peterson||William G.||Pvt. Co. C, 69th IL INF & Pvt. Co. H, 15th Vol. Res. Corps||Painter|
|Puterbaugh||William A.||Pvt. Co. G, 11th OH INF & Pvt. Co. A, 8th IN INF||Shoemaker|
|Riley||John H.||Pvt. Co. A, 170th NY INF||Laborer|
|Schermerhorn||John S.||Pvt. Co. C, 10th IN INF & Color Sgt. Co. F, 127th IL INF||Invalid|
|Seely||A. Townsend||Pvt. Co. H, 13th IL INF||Druggist|
|Shibley||Dow||Sgt. Co. G, 127th IL INF||Mechanic|
|Skinner||Morgan A.||Pvt. Co. F, 11th IL INF (90 day) & Pvt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Farmer|
|Skinner||Myron C.||Private Co. E, 36th IL INF||Farmer|
|Smith||Albert||Pvt. Co. K, 127th IL INF||Farmer|
|Thake||Christopher||Sgt. Co. I, 36th IL INF (Transferred to another post.)||Farmer|
|Tripp||Perry Green||Pvt. Co. E, 13th IL INF||Shoemaker|
|Welch||Andrew||Sgt. Co. C, 147th IN INF||Merchant|
|Willett||Reuben W.||Sgt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Merchant|
|Wilson||DeWitt C.||Pvt. Co. K, 20th IL INF||Farmer|
|Wilson||J. Stuart||Capt. Co. F, WI INF & Brevet. Major & Lt. Col. U. S. Volunteers||Lawyer|
|Wright||Henry||Sgt. Co. E, 115th NY INF (Transferred to another post.)||Minister|
|Young||Edmund H.||Pvt. Co. A, 36th IL INF & Co. M, 10th IL CAV||Farmer|
|Young||Isaac Ketchum||Sgt. Co. H, 89th IL INF||Farmer|
Additional Information Provided by the Compiler
The first Post hall was in rented rooms in the Union Building, downtown Yorkville, where the Masonic lodge currently meets. When Post membership declined, as Civil War veterans died, it became difficult to meet the expense of a hall. Prior to the construction of a new jail in the summer of 1893, the old jail and sheriff's living quarters were located in the basement of the courthouse. With the completion of the new jail, the former jail and sheriff's residence were no long used. In 1899, one of the Supervisors, some members of the G. A. R. and the Women's Relief Corps suggested that the unused space would make a suitable hall for the G. A. R. The Board of Supervisors agreed and partitions were moved to create a fine hall complete with comfortable anterooms. The new Post hall was dedicated in March 1900 as a memorial to Kendall County's veterans. The understanding was, the Yorkville Post would occupy the hall for their meetings and headquarters but it was to be available to all old soldiers. This was the final home for Yorkville Post No. 522, G. A. R.
Portraits of some of the old soldiers and various war relics were displayed on the walls and in display cases in the hall. During the Civil War there was only one Regimental Flag per regiment. It was customary, however, for each company to have its own flag. These flags were not carried in battle but used when recruiting and when the company was in camp. They typically were flown in front of company headquarters to mark its location. Company F, 36th IL Infantry, was originally commanded by Captain Porter C. Olson of Newark. Company F's flag was sewn by the ladies of Newark before the company left Kendall County and presented to the company August 21, 1861 at Newark.
Captain Olson was subsequently promoted to Lt. Colonel and elevated to Regimental Commander. Unfortunately he was killed in the Battle of Franklin (Tennessee.)
Following his death Lt. Colonel Olson's personal effects were returned to Newark and Company F's flag was found in one of his trunks. At the conclusion of the war, nobody in Company F seemed inclined to take the flag so it remained in the hands of his brother James "Webster" Olson, a member of Company F. Webster moved from Illinois to Santa Rosa, California where he kept the flag for about twenty years. In 1904 Webster returned to Illinois to attend a reunion of the 36th Illinois Infantry Regiment, bringing the flag with him. He felt it was time to secure a permanent place for the flag so the surviving veterans of the company in the immediate area could again view their flag.
A committee of members of the regiment was formed to locate a permanent home for the flag. In 1905 Yorkville Post No. 522, G. A. R. offered to care for the flag and arrangements were made to transfer it. According to terms of the agreement, the flag was to be displayed in an appropriate case in the post hall. Accordingly a custom made oak case about six feet, six inches in height, two and a half feet wide, and six inches deep with a glass front was built to display the flag which was then gracefully draped inside the case.
What became of the old flag after the Yorkville Post disbanded is a mystery. Aurora Post, number 20, G. A. R. is now known as The Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Hall & Military Museum. Charles R. Gates of Yorkville is Post Commander. Commander Gates was asked if Company F's flag was in the Museum's collection of military artifacts and it was determined it was not. The largest collection of Civil War flags of Illinois is housed in the Hall of Flags on the first floor of the Centennial Building (Howlett Building) in Springfield. Inquiry was made to determine if the flag was housed there but it was not.
Company F's flag may still be in existence somewhere. The flag's dimensions are approximately four feet by six feet. Each red and white stripe, each white star in the field of blue are sewn on separately. Under the flag a screaming American eagle grasping steamers in its claws inscribed with the national motto "E Pluribus Unum" was painted in oil colors. If anyone has any information on the whereabouts or disposition of the flag please pass it along to the compiler.
In 1905, Post officers were: Solon Smith Boomer, Commander; John Murley, Senior Vice Commander; Frank W. Pinney, Junior Vice Commander; Amos Davis Curran, Chaplain; Franklin Moody Hobbs, Quartermaster; William T. Linn, Officer of the Day; and Charles McNair Hill, Office of the Guard. Kendall County Record, Jan 11, 1905
In 1912, Post officers were: John Fitzgerald, Commander; Orville Wormley Beebe, Senior Vice Commander; Edwin E. Howes, Junior Vice Commander; Benjamin Franklin Herrington, Adjutant; Franklin Moody Hobbs, Quartermaster; Amos Davis Curran, Chaplain; Aaron M. Boomer, Officer of the Day; and Charles McNair Hill, Officer of the Guard. Kendall County Record, January 10, 1912.
In 1913, Post officers were: Wallace McCloud, Commander; Orville Wormley Beebe, Senior Vice Commander; Edwin E. Howes, Junior Vice Commander; Amos Davis Curran, Chaplain; Franklin Moody Hobbs, Quartermaster; Aaron M. Boomer, Officer of the Day; Barney Phillips, Delegate to the Department Encampment; and Charles McNair Hill, Alternate Delegate. Kendall County Record, December 18, 1912.
In 1914, Post officers were: Myron Charles Skinner, Commander; Solon Smith Boomer, Senior Vice Commander; Edwin E. Howes, Junior Vice Commander; Amos Davis Curran, Chaplain & Patriotic Instructor; Barney Phillips, Officer of the Day; Charles McNair Hill, Officer of the Guard; William F. Donovan, Quartermaster. Kendall County Record, December 24, 1913.