Barney Phillips

Civil War Veteran Goes to Rest

Kendall County Record, March 1, 1933.

Barney Phillips, the son of Peter and Mary (McKanna) Phillips was born September 29 1844 in Madison County, New York. He departed this life February 22, 1933. He came with his parents to this vicinity when eight years of age and resided here until his death.

Mr. Phillips spent the greater part of his life on a farm near Plattville. In 1877, he was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Newsam, of Plattville, who survives him. In 1903, Mr. and Mrs. Phillips moved into the village of Plattville, where they have since lived until the end of Mr. Phillips' life. In addition to the faithful wife, he is survived by one sister, many nieces and nephews and a host of friends.

Barney Phillips was the last surviving member of Yorkville Post No. 522, G. A. R. and the next to last surviving Civil War veteran in Kendall County.

Services were held Saturday afternoon at 1:00 o'clock at the home and at the Plattville Methodist Church at 1:30. Services were conducted by the Rev. D. H. Ross of the Plattville church. Burial was in the family lot in the Aux Sable Grove Cemetery, where the firing and the parting salute were made, and taps played by Wilbur Kuhman.

Barney Phillips the Soldier
Based on an article printed by Mary T. Howell printed in the
Kendall County Record, April 27, 1932.

Barney Phillips was a teenager when the Civil War began. He was filled with patriotism and wanted to join the army but was denied enlistment several times because of his youth and slim physique. He tried to enlist in Yorkville but was rejected. Undaunted he tried to enlist in Lisbon where Captain Hanna told him to go home and live a while longer.
On February 2, 1864 he attended a public sale on a farm near Plattville when a friend, Michael Carroll, approached him and said "If you will enlist, I will." Barney agreed and both men walked to Minooka that day where the boarded a  train for Joliet. They enlisted and spent the night sleeping in the Joliet depot. The next morning they were sent to Springfield to be outfitted and from there they were ordered to Ottawa to join Company A, 64th IL Infantry, known as "Yates Sharpshooters."

The regiment was organized in 1861 and had been engaged in almost continuous fighting. In January 1864 the regiment was moved north to Chicago for twenty day's veteran furlough. On February 14, 1864 at the end of their furlough the regiment reassembled at Ottawa. On March 17, 1864 the regiment left Ottawa and arriving at Decatur, Alabama March 23, 1864.

Barney described how his first night in the south was spent sleeping on the ground without blankets and being covered with snow by morning. He and his companion, Michael Carroll, saw action almost immediately upon their arrival. They fought for several days in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain. The enemy fell back on July 3, 1864 and the 64th Illinois Infantry battle flag was the first to fly on Kenesaw Mountain. Mr. Phillips took part in General Sherman's March to the Sea. Eighty thousand men left Atlanta and moved on a sixty mile wide front as they made their way to the sea 300 miles away.

At the time General Lee surrendered, Company A, was stationed at Goldsboro, South Carolina. With Lee's surrender the war was brought to a close and Sherman's army went to Washington, DC where the Army of the Potomac passed in grand review. On July 11, 1865, the 64th IL Infantry received their mustering out pay, were discharged, and sent home.

Last Modified on 2012-12-30 16:15:47-0600 CST by Elmer Dickson

Previous page: William T. Linn
Next page: Robert N. Buck