Old Yorkville Homes & Businesses: Mason's Third Addition

Compiled by Elmer Dickson

Preface

Unless otherwise noted, the information below was acquired from Kendall County Courthouse records.

Information acquired from Kendall County Newspapers will appear in a border box like this one including the following citation at the top:
Source: Kendall County Newspapers

 

Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville

 

Block 1
Five lots

 

Lot 1

 

Street address:

Legal description: lot 1, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville.

House constructed by August C. Merkel in 1916.

 

Lot 1: Mary E. Mason to August C. Merkel, lot 1, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, May 1916.

 

August C. Merkel, lot 1, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1917 T-A, increased to $917.

 

August C. Merkel, lot 1, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $960.

 

August C. Merkel, lot 1, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $1,920.

 

August C. Merkel, lot 1, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1939 T-A, $1,230.

 

Lot 2

 

Lot 2: Mary E. Mason and husband to Paul LeRoy Scofield, lot 2, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, February 1927, $250.

Lot 2: Paul LeRoy Scofield and wife to Robert T. Smith, lot 2, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, March 1929.

Lot 2: Robert T. & Mabel Smith to August C. & Mamie H. Merkel, lot 2, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, March 20, 1940.

 

LeRoy Scofield, lot 2, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $20.

 

Robert T. Smith, lot 2, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1939 T-A, $40.

 

Robert T. Smith, lot 2, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1939 T-A, $40.

 

Lot 3

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 3, 4 and 5, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $60.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 3, 4 and 5, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $120.

 

Lot 4

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 3, 4 and 5, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $60.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 3, 4 and 5, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $120.

 

Lot 5

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 3, 4 and 5, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $60.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 3, 4 and 5, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $100.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 3, 4 and 5, block 1, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1939 T-A, $120.

 

Block 2
Four lots

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3 and 4, block 2, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $120.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3 and 4, block 2, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $240.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3 and 4, block 2, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1939 T-A, $190.

 

Block 3
Five lots

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, block 3, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $100.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, block 3, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $200.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, block 3, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1939 T-A, $160.

 

Block 4
Four lots

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3 and 4, block 4, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $80.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3 and 4, block 4, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $160.

 

Mary E. Mason, lots 1, 2, 3 and 4, block 4, Mason’s Third Addition to Yorkville, 1939 T-A, $130.

 

South Addition to Block 6

Lots 9 and 10 were added to Block 6, Original Village of Yorkville.

 

Lot 3

 

Lot 3: Sarah E. Wiley to John E. Reddock, lots 4, 5 and 6 and part of lot 7 block 6, Original Village of Yorkville; also part of Commissioner’s Subdivision and lot 3, block 6 South Addition to block 6, February 1907, $1,100.

 

Lot 4

 

Lot 4:

 

Lot 5

 

Lot 5:

 

Lot 6

 

Lot 6:

 

Lot 7

 

Lot 7:

 

Lot 8

 

Lot 8

 

South Addition to Block 6

Lots 9 and 10 were added to Block 6, Original Village of Yorkville.

 

Lot 9

 

Lot 9: Mary E. Mason to Curtis Mason, lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, May 1902.

Lot 9: Curtis Mason to Oscar R. Moulton, lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, May 1917.

Lot 9: Rollin? H. Moulton, et al, to Herman Dhuse, W. D. part of lot 8, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, February 1936, $25.

Lot 9: Minnie E. Moulton to Ade E. Thompson, Q.C.D. lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, December 1936.

Lot 9: Ada E. Thompson & Husband to William A. & Johanna Merkel, lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, July 1937, consideration $2,000.

 

Curtis Mason, lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, 1902 T-A, increased to $300.

 

Oscar R. Moulton lots 9 and 10 block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $880.

 

Oscar R. Moulton Estate, west part of lot 9 and east part of lot 9 north of Route 47, and all of lot 10, Mason’s Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $1,680

 

William A. Merkel, west part of lot 9 and east part of lot 9 north of Route 47, and all of lot 10, Mason’s Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, 1939 T-A, $1,230

 

Lot 10

 

Street address: (?) South Main Street.

Legal description:

House constructed for Curtis Mason in 1901.

 

Lot 10: Mary E. Mason to Curtis Mason, lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, May 1902.

Lot 10: Curtis Mason to Oscar R. Moulton, lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, May 1917.

Lot 10: Minnie E. Moulton to Ade E. Thompson, Q.C.D. lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, December 1936.

Lot 10: Ada E. Thompson & Husband to William A. & Johanna Merkel, lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, July 1937, consideration $2,000.

 

Curtis Mason, lots 9 and 10, block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, 1902 T-A, increased to $300.

 

Oscar R. Moulton lots 9 and 10 block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, 1927 T-A, $880.

 

Oscar R. Moulton Estate, west part of lot 9 and east part of lot 9 north of Route 47, and all of lot 10 block 6, Mason’s South Addition to block 6, Original Village of Yorkville, 1931 T-A, $1,680

 

Unincorporated Area

 

Street address: 401 Heustis Street.

Legal description: north half of sub-lot 22 C, section 33-37-7, .75 acres.

Part of the southwest quarter, section 33-37-7.

 

Jacob P. Black, et al, to Charles Mather, 1 1/3 acres of land in section 33, Bristol Township (sic Kendall Township), May 31, 1869, $324.

 

Mrs. Jacob P. Black was Louise W. Mather, daughter of Charles Cotton Mather. In the 1876 Biographical Directory of Kendall County, Charles Mather is listed as a gardener living in Yorkville who worked for Mrs. J. P. Black. Charles was born April 15, 1790 in Utica, Oneida County, New York and would have been 86 years of age in 1876, so I wonder how much gardening he could have done. Charles C. Mather died May 12, 1879 in Yorkville but is buried in Sugar Grove Cemetery.

At one time, the Charles C. Mather family lived in Millington, IL. Charles’s father-in-law, Jacob P. Black’s family was living in Millington prior to their move to Yorkville about 1856. It seems likely they all moved to Yorkville about the same time.

 

Charles (Cotton) Mather to Milton Emmett Cornell, land adjoining Yorkville (no other description) July 15, 1871, $1,500.

 

Milton Emmett Cornell was the son of James Smith Cornell and his wife Polly “Marian” (Howe) Smith. James Smith Cornell was the son of Richard Smith Cornell and his wife Mary H. (Duryea) Smith. Marian Polly was the daughter of early Kendall County pioneers, Titus and Elmira (Hicks) Howe.

James Smith Cornell and Rulief Duryea were among the very first settlers in Yorkville. James Smith Cornell was the first sheriff of Kendall County.

Milton Emmett Cornell married Helen E. Howe.

 

 

Mr. Gabe Roe of the Specie Grove neighborhood is going to take life a little easier after the first of March and will move to town into his house on Heustis Street, now occupied by William Crimmin. The Democratic leader will move into the Lormor house on South Main Street now occupied by T. V. Atherton. Vol expects to be nicely domiciled in his new residence on West Ridge Street by that time.820

 

Mr. Gabe Roe will not move to Yorkville to occupy his house on Heustis Street. It is said that he has bought the house and six acres of land occupied by Mrs. John T. Wormley, above Oswego on the trolley line, paying $5,000 for the property. It is a fine place for a home.821

 

Milton Emmett Cornell & wife to Gabriel S. Roe, part of the southwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, July 22, 1890, $2,000.

 

Mr. Herman Ebrecht of Bristol has bought the Gabriel Roe house in Yorkville, on Heustis Street, opposite Dr. McClelland’s residence. The people of the village will be glad to have Mr. and Mrs. Ebrecht as residents. He is a stockholder in the Yorkville National Bank and a good farmer/businessman. The sale was made by George Elliott, the Yorkville real estate dealer.822

 

“The Justus Nading family expects to move from the hotel about the first of next week. They will occupy the Gabriel S. Roe house on Heustis Street, recently vacated by William Crimmin. In the spring, Mr. Nading expects to build on his lots in the east end.”823

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Nading have moved into the Gabriel S. Roe house on Heustis Street and Mr. Dursey has charge of the hotel.”824

 

Gabriel S. Roe to Herman F. Ebrecht, part southwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, August 1905, $2,000.

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Hugh R. Marshall and little son John R. Marshall, arrived in Yorkville Saturday evening from Hamilton Canada, where they have lived nearly four years. They will occupy the house just opposite Dr. McClelland’s on Heustis Street as soon as repairs on the house are completed. Mr. Marshall will be in charge of the business end of the Record office as soon as he becomes acquainted with the routine.”825

 

Hugh Rice Marshall died in June 1929, and his wife Pearl continued to live in their home at 401 Heustis Street. In February 1934, there was a fire in the home.

“The Yorkville and Bristol fire department were called at eleven o’clock Sunday morning to fight a fire in the home of Mrs. Pearl Marshall.

The fire started in the attic and had a good start before the fire fighting units got there. In fact, it looked as though the house was doomed when the firemen arrived.

In a few minutes the men had the fire under control and assisted by the crowd attracted by the fire, had all the furnishings removed from the house.

The damage was quite extensive. The roof, particularly the east end, was badly burned. Holes were burned through the ceilings in the rooms upstairs. Water cascaded through the house, necessitating the refinishing of the floors downstairs and new floors upstairs. The kitchen ceiling was ruined.

E. A. Shepard, who wrote the insurance, called Mr. Wallace, the adjuster, from Aurora and by 6:00 o’clock had the matter adjusted to everyone’s satisfaction.” 826

 

John R. Marshall sold his residence to Orville W. Beebe of the Plattville neighborhood. Mr. and Mrs. Beebe will take possession in the middle of February. The Marshall family will then be homeless. They expect to build a house on “Wall” Street, near Dr. McClelland’s. 827

John R. Marshall liked to call Heustis Street, “Wall Street” because many of Yorkville’s wealthy residents lived on Heustis Street.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Orville W. Beebe are now residents on the north side, moving into the J. R. Marshall house last week from the farm out Plattville way. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall are living with Dr. McClelland for the present. They leave the north side with regret after thirty-eight years residence there.828

 

Mrs. W. A. Colledge spent the first of the week with her father, the Honorable John R. Marshall. She reports her husband Dr. Colledge, as improving fast and being able to attend his office some of the time each day.829

 

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Gutel have rented the house now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Hugh R. Marshall and will take possession December 1, 1927. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall will move to the John R. Marshall home on the east side of Heustis Street.830

 

Mr. and Mrs. Hugh R. Marshall and family have moved from the west side of Heustis Street to the east side, and are now pleasantly settled in their new home. Mr. and Mrs. Edward I. Gutel are moving into the house vacated by the Marshall family. Mr. Gutel is the cashier in the Yorkville National Bank.831

 

Mr. and Mrs. Edward I. Gutel and daughter moved their household goods last week from Odell, IL to the Marshall house on the west side of Heustis Street, recently vacated by the Hugh R. Marshall family.832

 

Herman F. Ebrecht to John R. (Redman) Marshall, part southwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, March 1908, $2,000.

John R. Marshall, Devisee, etc., to Frank G. and Mildred G. Loomis, part southwest quarter section 33-37-7, Original Village of Yorkville, November 1929.

Robert A., Jr. and Maurine McClelland to Frank G. and Mildred G. Loomis, part of section 33-37-7, June 1934.

 

Luther Johnson Jeter Home

 

Street address: 402 Heustis Street.

Legal description: 75 feet north of McClelland’s part sub-lot 25 C, Kendall Township, .25 acre.

Alternative legal description: Section 33-7-7 City of Yorkville.

Home constructed for Luther J. Jeter in 1914.

 

Louise B. Newton to Luther J. Jeter, part southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, July 1914.

 

Louise B. Newton and husband William R. Newton to Luther J. Jeter, part southwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville October 1923, $300.

 

Luther J. Jeter purchased the lot between the William Reynolds Newton residence and Dr. McClelland’s home from Mrs. Newton. Mr. Jeter built a modern one-story bungalow on the lot.”833

 

The foundation for Mr. Luther J. Jeter’s new home was dug in August 1914.”834

 

The Jeter family continued to live in their home at 601 Heustis Street until the sale of the property to Helen M. (Grimwood) Leitch in the spring of 1915.

 

Luther J. Jeter is putting in cement walks and driveway at his home on Heustis Street, and his garage will follow.835

 

During the absence of Mr. and Mrs. Luther J. Jeter fire was discovered in their bungalow home. It was caused by an electric flat iron, which had been left on the sewing table with the power on. Much damage was done to the house by the fire and still more by the water. The home had just been newly decorated. Mr. and Mrs. Jeter were attending a sale in Aurora and did not learn of the fire until their return. The Bristol fire truck was on the job and soon had the fire extinguished, but not before great damage had been done.836

 

Street address: 405 Heustis Street.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

Home constructed for George H. Arundale in 1923.

 

Price’s Hatchery, Earl Price proprietor (January 1927 - )

 

The new home being erected by George Arundale is going up fast. C. S. Shaw and his force are well along with the erection of the structure and Frank Skinner is hustling along the garage. Soon the masons will be on the job with the bricklaying.837

 

The new bungalow home of Mr. and Mrs. George H. Arundale is completed and the family expects to take occupancy this week.838

 

Earl Price, farm advisor for Kendall County has submitted his resignation to take effect December 31, 1926. After seven years of faithful service in his present capacity, Mr. Price has decided to undertake private business. He has installed a large incubator plant, one of 47,000 egg capacity, in his barn in Yorkville, and will endeavor to care for the hatching needs of all the poultry raisers in the community. His will be a commercial hatching plant, developing chickens from eggs from any of his customers in any size lots. The plant is strictly modern and one of the best on the market.2839

 

Street address: 406 Heustis Street

Legal description: west corner off sub-lot 25 C, section 33, Bristol Township, .65 acres.

Home built circa 1900 by Dr. Robert A. McClelland.

Classic Italianate Style architecture.

 

Mary S. McClelland to Robert A. McClelland (Jr.), part of the west half of section 33-37-7, Kendall Township, June 1920, $2,000.

Mary S. (Marshall) (McClelland) Read to Robert McClelland, Jr. (part of) southeast quarter, section 33-37-7.

Robert A. McClelland (Jr.) to Ed Schur, part of southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Kendall Township, June 1920, $6,000.

Ed Schur and wife, Alvine Schur to Clarence M. and Edith Schulter, part of southwest quarter section 33-37-7, September 1924, $6,000.

Clarence M. Schulter and wife to Robert Fletcher Marshall, 75 by 48 feet in southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, July 1926.

Clarence M. Schulter to Catherine Schulter, part of section 33-37-7, February 1929.

Clarence M. Schulter & wife to Clarence M. Schulter, part southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, March 1939,

 

Ed Schur has bought the McClelland home and expects to move to town about March 1, 1921. P. F. Whalen will live there until the Schur family leaves the farm.840

 

Mr. and Mrs. P. F. Wahlen and family have moved into the old Armbruster house to live until their new flat is completed. Mr. and Mrs. Ed Schur are preparing to move into the Dr. McClelland house thus vacated.841

 

Mr. and Mrs. Ed Schur are planning to return to their farm about the first of March. Their home, long known as the McClelland home, has been rented to the Earl Price family.842

 

The moving has started in Yorkville which will change several residences. P. F. Whalen moved into the McClelland house Monday. Will Hayden will into his recently purchased home vacated Mr. Whalen; formerly the Dearborn home on the north side. Judge Williams takes the old Fitzgerald place vacated by the Haydens. Judge Williams home is given up to the Earl Price family, who bought the Williams home.843

 

George H. Arundale closed a deal this week by which the McClelland property was sold to C. M. Schulter. Mr. Schulter is the state agent of the Brach Candy Company and will make his home here as soon as the property is vacated by its present occupants the Earl Price family.844

 

The Schulter family, who moved here from Chicago, have taken possession of the Schur property better known as the Dr. McClelland home. They have taken down the barn and are erecting a Colonial style home the site.845

The new house was on the south side of the original McClelland home.

 

In 1929, C. M. Schulter owned the Dr. McClellan home on Heustis Street when he advertised the property for sale. “The C. M. Schulter residence at Yorkville, formerly known as the Dr. R. A. McClelland home, now completely remodeled and modernized. The home is an eight room Early American style home, with wonderful trees, a garden and fish pool. The house is insulated against heat and cold, has an oil burner hot water furnace, and garbage incinerator, Frigidaire ice box, etc. It has a fine two car heated garage. The price is $13,000, with half in cash. There is also an adjoining modern Colonial style residence for sale for $6,800.”846

 

Robert Newton Home

 

Street address: 501 Heustis Street.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

 

Robert N. Newton owned a large tract north of Franklin Street (now Fox Road) facing Heustis Street on the east.

 

Over the years, Robert had sold off part of his property but he sold his home and a significant portion of remaining land 1908 to George Arundale in November 1908 when he moved to Billings, Montana.

 

“Robert N. Newton sold his residence to Mr. George Arundale of Lisbon Center for about $4,000. Mr. Arundale and family will occupy the house about February 1, 1909.”847

“Mr. and Mrs. George H. Arundale and family expect to move into the house purchased from Robert N. Newton in a few days.”848

 

Street address: 504 Heustis Street.

Legal description: 75 by 125 feet off of sub-lot 25 C, Bristol Township (= Yorkville) .30 acres.

Home built for John R. Marshall in 1905.

 

Louise B. Newton to John R. (Redman) Marshall, part of the southwest quarter, section 33, Yorkville, March1903, $350. Currently (2006) the home of Douglas and Jo Ann (Marshall) Pierce.

 

“Work has commenced on a cottage residence for Mr. and Mrs. J. R. (John Redman) Marshall on Heustis Street, south of Dr. McClelland’s residence. It will be one of the first buildings to go up this spring.”849

“Henry Chappell was in Aurora on business matters Friday, getting lathers for the inside work on J. R. (John Redman) Marshall’s new house, which is progressing rapidly. Carpenters, masons and lathers are all busy in this burg, and a lot of outside help is being employed.”850

 

Fifty years ago Mr. and Mrs. Russell Robinson lived on the north side in the house now occupied by James Whiteman. When the publisher of the Record was married in January 1865, he bought that house from Mr. Robinson and made it the family home for sixteen years.851

 

Mr. and Mrs. Orville W. Beebe are now residents on the north side; moving into the John R. Marshall house last week from the farm out Plattville way. They are a valuable addition to Yorkville society, and will have a cordial greeting from our people. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall are living with Dr. McClelland for the present. They leave the north side with regret after thirty-eight years residence there.852

 

John R. Marshall died in April 1927.

Mr. and Mrs. Roy Scofield and son moved the first of the week, from the Marshall house on Heustis Street to the house on Church Street recently purchased from Miss Marion Biggar. Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Matlock and children recent occupants of the Biggar house have moved to Champaign, IL.853

 

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Gutel have rented the house now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Hugh R. Marshall and will take possession December 1, 1927. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall will move to the John R. Marshall home on the east side of Heustis Street.854

 

Mr. and Mrs. Hugh R. Marshall and family have moved from the west side of Heustis Street to the east side, and are now pleasantly settled in their new home. Mr. and Mrs. Edward I. Gutel are moving into the house vacated by the Marshall family. Mr. Gutel is the cashier in the Yorkville National Bank.855

 

Mr. and Mrs. Edward I. Gutel and daughter moved their household goods last week from Odell, IL to the Marshall house on the west side of Heustis Street, recently vacated by the Hugh R. Marshall family.856

 

John R. Marshall, 75 by 125 feet of sub-lot 26 C, section 33-37-7, 1906 T-A, $320.

Frank Fasmer Home

 

Street address: 505 Heustis Street.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

Home constructed for Frank Fasmer in 1898.

 

Robert N. Newton to Frank Fasmer, part of the southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, lot in Yorkville, May 1898, $325. This lot is the second lot north of Franklin Street (Fox Road) on the west side of Heustis Street. It is the first lot north of the Jacob Armbruster residence on the northwest corner of Heustis and Franklin Street (Fox Road.)

 

Frank Fasmer built a home between the houses of Robert N. Newton and Jacob Armbruster on the west side of Heustis Street.

His home was the second house south of Franklin Street (Fox Road) on the west side of the street.857,858

 

Frank Fasmer to Jacob and Emma Zeiter, part of the southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, February 1917, $5,250.

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Frank Fasmer and family have given over their fine home on Heustis Street to the Jacob Zeiter family. Mr. Fasmer plans to move to Northern Michigan.”859

 

About 11:00 o’clock on Friday the people were alarmed by the fire bell and in a short time the assistance of the entire village was being extended to Jacob Zeiter. The roof of his handsome home on Heustis Street had caught fire and was blazing dangerously when it was discovered by Mrs. Betsey Ackerman from the window of the Armbruster home. The fire was put out without doing more damage than burning a hole in the roof and some water damage to the contents of the home. The fire evidently was a result of the chimney burning out.860

 

Mr. and Mrs. Martin N. Hextell and family moved into the house on Heustis Street recently vacated by the Zeiters.861

 

George H. Arundale to Jacob Zeiter, part of sub lot 26, of the southwest quarter of section 33-37-7 Yorkville, March 1917, $300.

 

Street address: 506 Heustis Street.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

Home constructed by Edward A. Shepard in 1928.

 

Edward A. Shepard has broken ground for a residence on Heustis Street between Ernest Lippold’s and Hugh R. Marshall’s homes. The new house will be modern in every respect and will probably be ready for occupancy about December.862

 

Mr. and Mrs. Edward A. Shepard, David and Elizabeth, have moved into their comfortable new home on Heustis Street. The building is of brick and has all modern conveniences.863

 

Jacob Armbruster Home

 

Street address: 507 Heustis Street.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

Home constructed for Jacob Armbruster about 1896.

 

Robert N. Newton owned a large tract north of Franklin Street (Fox Road) facing Heustis Street on the east. It was described as part of the southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Yorkville.

 

Robert N. Newton to Jacob Armbruster, part of the southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, May 1896, $400.

 

George H. Arundale to Jacob Armbruster .48 acres in the southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, April 1912.

 

Jacob Armbruster and wife to Herman F. Ebrecht and Lucy C. Ebrecht, part of the southwest quarter of section 33-37-7, August 1924, $6,000.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Armbruster moved this week from their home, which they have sold to Mr. and Mrs. Ebrecht to their farm southeast of town where they will spend the winter with Mr. and Mrs. John Kenney and son John.864

Street address: 508 Heustis Street.

Legal description: Section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

Home built for Ernest Lippold in 1919.

 

Mrs. Louise B. Newton and husband to Ernest H. Lippold, part of southwest quarter section 33, Kendall Township, August 1919. This lot is directly across Heustis Street from the Jacob Armbruster home which is on the northwest corner of Franklin (Fox Road) and Heustis Street.

Ernest Lippold to Ruth H. Shepard part of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, September 1928.

 

Ernest Lippold has been digging a basement for his new home east of Jacob Armbruster’s home. Work will be rushed in order to get it done before winter.865

 

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Shepard and family moved Monday from the Shepard farm south of Yorkville to the Ernest H. Lippold bungalow on Heustis Street.866

Street address: ? East Van Emmon Street.

Legal description: part of sub-lot 13, C section 33-37-7, 4.71 acres.

 

Robert A. McClelland, Jr. to Fred Kuhman, part of the west half of section 33-37-7, Kendall Township, July 1920, $4,000.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Chappell and daughter Lois, have moved into the Kuhman house on East Van Emmon Street.867

 

Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Chappell and daughter have moved into the Kuhman house, vacated by Mr. and Mrs. Allen Mayes.868

Charles Moore to Mary E. Mason, ½ acre in southeast quarter section 32-37-7, Yorkville, June 1891, $100.

 

Mary E. Mason to Sarah J. Wolcott, ½ acre in southeast quarter section 32-37-7, Yorkville, December 1908, $250.

 

Sarah J. Wolcott to Herman F. Dhuse, ½ acre in southeast quarter section 32-37-7, Yorkville, February 1919, $4,250.

 

Herman F. Dhuse and wife, to Jacob A. and Alice Zeiter, J.T.D., ½ acre in southeast quarter section 32-37-7, Yorkville, August 1936, $2,500.

 

Herman F. Dhuse has purchased the John Wolcott house. 869

 

Herman F. Dhuse, part of lot 3, 182 by 80 feet south of Mason’s Addition to Original Village of Yorkville, .35 acres, section 32-37-7, 1931 T-A, $1,800.

 

Abraham Glover to Flourney Oden, part of the northwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, March 1899, $250.

 

Heirs Samuel S. Lathrop to Robert A. McClelland, part of the northwest quarter of section 33-37-7, one acre lot in southeast Yorkville, May 1900, $275.

 

August Lippold to Minnie Beattie, part of southeast quarter of section 32-37-7, lot in Yorkville, $200.

 

Master in Chancery to Georgia S. Harrington, part of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, March 1903, $140.

 

Mrs. Harrington owned a large lot on the northeast corner of Mill and VanEmon Streets. She owned another large lot on VanEmon Street, two lots east of the intersection of Mill and VanEmon Streets.

 

Legal description: lot 10 and north part of the northeast quarter of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, .98 acres.

 

Master in Chancery to Jesse Swaine, part of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, March 1903, $30.

 

Emil Kanka and wife to Joseph and Marie Purky, part of northeast quarter, section 33-37-7, containing nine acres with exceptions, January 1928.

 

L. R. Lippold to Joseph M. Austin, part of the northwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, March 1, 1904.

 

M. Adele Kremer, et al, to Lew “Wallace” Mason, part of the southwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, December 1904.

 

John Holm to Stephen Stephenson, part of northwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, January 1907, $650.

 

County of Kendall to William and Elizabeth Thurow part section 33-37-7, Yorkville, December 1929.

 

John Holm by Master in Chancery to Mary K. Holm, part of northwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, November 1913.

 

George D. Ament to Archie E. Price, part of southeast quarter, section 32-37-7, Yorkville, April 1912.

Street address: 308 East Van Emmon Road.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

House constructed by George H. Schmidt before 1870.

 

308 East Van Emmon Street is the first house east of block 13, of Black’s First Addition to Yorkville.

 

In 1870 the house on this lot was owned by Mary and Elias Ellis.

 

Elias Ellis is instituting some improvements on his property on the east end of VanEmon Street that will make it one of the pretty places on the south side bluff. The yard, situated on the hill, is being terraced to correspond with the terraces of the George Needham place. The cement walks which will be put along the street will be continued by steps up to the Ellis home.”870

Elias Ellis has sold his home in Yorkville to L. B. Beebe, who is now occupying the house owned by the Dorothy Hage estate. Mr. and Mrs. Ellis will go east, about the first of March, to make their home with their daughter, Mrs. Stella Schmidt at Patterson, New Jersey.871

 

Mr. and Mrs. William Baird and four children have moved here from Aurora to make their home. At present they are living in the Elias Ellis house. They plan to build a home in the spring. (Need date)

 

Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Olson who recently resided in Chicago have moved to Yorkville and are residing in the Beebe home on East Van Emmon Road.872

 

Mary Ellis to Legrande B. Beebe, 100 by 302 feet, east of block 13, Black’s First Addition to Yorkville, April 1920.

 

Street address: 310 East Van Emmon Road.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

House was built before 1894.

 

310 East Van Emmon Street is the second house east of block 13, of Black’s First Addition to Yorkville.

 

“Shortly after the George L. Needham family moved to the village of Yorkville they bought the house on the hill built by George Schmidt and have lived there since March 1, 1896.”873

 

Elmer E. Barrows has sold his home on VanEmon Street to Fred Kuhman who will move from his farm on Fox Road this spring. Mr. Barrows will move to Plano.874

 

George H. Schmidt to George L. Needham, part of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, January 1894, $2,700.

George L. Needham, widower, to Elmer E. Barrows, part of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, October 1912, $3,500.

Elmer E. Barrows to Fred Kuhman, part section 33-37-7, Yorkville, January 1919, $5,000.

 

Street address: 311 East Van Emmon Road.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

 

 

Street address: ? East Van Emmon Road.

 

The ice business of this vicinity, which was formerly under the management of Jens Todnem, has been purchased by Gilbert G. Wood. Mr. Wood has taken possession of his new business and expects to be able to deliver ice to you as soon as you need it. Mr. Wood is one of Yorkville’s rising young business men, who started a trucking business some time ago which has grown rapidly under his management.875

 

Consumers Company to Jens Todnem, part northwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, April 1923.

Jens Todnem to Oscar Friedberg and George Ohse, part northwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, January 1925.

George Ohse, et al to Gilbert G. Wood, part northwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, February 1925.

Gilbert G. Wood and Mrs. Matilda M. Wood to the Kendall County Farm Bureau, part northwest quarter, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, March 1931.

 

Street address: 325 East Van Emmon Road

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

 

Street address: 339 East Van Emmon Road

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

 

Street address: 341 East Van Emmon Road

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

 

Street address: 344 East Van Emmon Road

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

 

Street address: 348 East Van Emmon Road.

Legal description: section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

 

Street address: (Franklin or Mill Street Address?)

Legal description: 75 by 125 feet southeast corner of sub-lot 25 C, .30 acres, section 33-37-7 City of Yorkville.

Home constructed for Richard Jacobs in 1912.

 

Richard Jacobs’ lot was on the northwest corner of Franklin Street (Fox Road) and Mill Street.

 

Richard Jacobs has broken the ground for his new home on the southeast corner of the block east of the Jacob Armbruster home. Mr. Jacobs is here from Hoopeston superintending the job.”876

 

“The masons are at work on Mr. Jacobs’ house on the corner northeast of William Wollenweber, Sr.’s.”877

 

Louise B. Newton to Richard Jacobs (a.k.a. Jacobson) sub-lot 25 C, section 33-37-7, Yorkville, $225.

 

Street address: 1001 South Main Street.

Legal address: Sub lot B, William Holle Survey.

 

The frame work is well along on the new George D. Ament house.878

 

William Holle to George D. Ament, 6.125 acres in section 32-37-7 (Lot B), Yorkville, April 1914, $1,684.37.

 

William Holle to Caroline Riemenschneider, sub lot D, 9.25 acres in southeast quarter of section 3237-7, Yorkville, March 1915, $1,850.

 

William Holle to George D. Ament, 9.60 acres being sub lot C, southeast quarter of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, February 1917.

Lots A – D were located on the west side of South Main Street, in the southwest edge of Yorkville.

 

William Holle to Severt O. Hagen, 18.10 acres on southeast quarter of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, March 1919, $3,891.50.

 

George D. Ament to Severt O. Hagen, 9.69 acres, on southeast quarter of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, March 1920.

 

Oscar S. Hagen, et al, to Anna Elizabeth Atlee, 9.60 acres and 18.10 acres on southeast quarter, section 32-37-7, Yorkville, $5,420.

 

Mary Kusmaul, et al, to Frank E. Mosley and wife, Nellie F., part of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, August 1928.

 

George Mewhirter to Jennie N. Ament, part of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, March 1929.

 

Jesse M. Elliott to Jennie M. Ament, part of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, March 1929.

 

Robert A. McClelland to Perry Hubbell, part of the west half of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, August 1916, $300.

 

This property was between East Van Emon Street and East Hydraulic Avenue on the east side of Yorkville.

 

Street address:

Legal description: Part of sub-lot 10, section 33, Bristol Township (= Yorkville) 2.0 acres.

 

Robert A. McClelland to Jacob Armbruster, Trustee, about 2 acres on northwest quarter of section 33-37-7, Yorkville, is the baseball field on the north side of west Van Emon Street, September 1916, $460.

 

S. O. Hagen Property

 

Mr. Fred Atlee is erecting some buildings on the property he recently bought in Yorkville, known as the Hagen property.879

 

“Frank Sleezer sold his chicken ranch to Mr. Edward Larson of Newark. The ranch consists of nine acres and has one of the finest bungalows in town with up-to-date appliances for the chicken business. The consideration was $6,300 or $700 per acre. Possession will be given March 15th. Mr. Sleezer will move to Alabama soon.”880

 

George W. (D.?) Ament to Frank W. Sleezer, 3 acres, block 9 of W. H. Hopkins Addition; lots 3, 4, 5 and 6, block 8, Original Village of Yorkville; and 3 acres part of the southeast quarter of section 32-37-7, Yorkville, March 1914, $1,000.

 

Frank W. Sleezer to Edward Larson, 3 acres part of the southeast quarter section 32-37-7, Yorkville, April 1917.



Last Modified on 2014-04-09 05:13:26-0500 CDT by Elmer Dickson