Lisbon in 1896
by Joseph R. Adams, Editor
Kendall County News, May 28, 1896.
Beyond Helmar the Road Commissioners had been at work. While the way was not quite so rocky as the Dublin Road, it was inclined to shake a person up. With the prospect of a good dinner (the noon meal) at the village inn, and solacing ourselves with the tune, genuinely Methodist, "How tedious and tasteless the hours," we pushed on. It was a relief to reach the shady avenue, the one long street, which is about the all of the village of Lisbon. To wonder at the age and history of the old stone houses, and to mark their peculiarities as compared with the more modern architecture. Above the front door to an old and still well preserved house in another portion of the village appears the word "hotel" It is now a private dwelling house and nearly everything has been done to obliterate the letters. At times they will disappear, only to return with persisting annoyance. This hotel is an old marker. It was a favorite inn in the days of the stagecoach. Passengers from the villages of Chicago and Ottawa enjoyed its popularity. At the time of the early overland limited, Lisbon was a relay station
John Moore developed a successful merchant business. His success has descended upon his only son, the present proprietor of the large general store at Lisbon, which still goes under the name, John Moore & Son. The present John Moore is an affable man. As he conducted us through his place of business he kindly gave us reminiscences of the past, as descending from his parents. On the upper floor of the establishment he showed relics of a half century. An old two tined pitchfork, etc., which formed a part of the original Moore stock. In addition to his mercantile interests, Mr. Moore has upwards of twelve hundred acres of fine farmland, well improved and stocked.
Lisbon is now fully incorporated. Its chief executive being Mr. F. A. Leverich, of the firm Leverich & Wilkinson, a thorough going concern, doing a large business. Under the present administration the village has advanced. The old paths have given way to substantial boardwalks and a healthy balance appears in the exchequer.
The local News man, Mr. Joseph Williams pilots us about the village and makes our stay a very pleasant one. Mr. Williams is a past master in the art of writing. To his indefatigable zeal as a chronicler lays the credit of his village being well known in the outside world. The Comet [Lisbon Comet] is his thought and hobby. By the long list of subscribers we know his efforts are appreciated at home. No paper has the following in the immediate vicinity as the Comet, and it is flattering to observe its increasing supporters.
The Methodists have a comfortable home. The schools under Professor Foster are flourishing. Secret organizations thrive. The Woodmen are strong, and possess a commodious building.
Though ten miles from a railroad, the villagers appear not wanting. They appear to be living better and happier than those differently situated.