Plano Business Directory in 1898
Published in the Kendall County News, October 5, 1898
Edited and compiled by Elmer Dickson
The City of Plano is one of the liveliest and most prosperous towns in this section. There is rapid growth in every line. The past year has proven to be one of the most prosperous in Plano's history. It has witnessed a remarkable increase in building, more than many of the larger cities of this section. The businessmen have also enjoyed a largely increased trade. New concerns have been opened, and the town is in every way one of the liveliest and most prosperous in this vicinity. Plano is located in the midst of the richest agricultural communities in the world. It is rapidly becoming one of the chief grain points of the middle states. There are nine church edifices, a high school of ten rooms, a complete system of water works, a perfectly equipped electric light plant and a large plow factory. Plano has more advantages to offer parties seeking a home or location for an industry or business than any other town of its size. It is noted for its beautiful and healthful location, its fine buildings and its beautifully shaded streets. The most positive proof of a condition of a city is a fair representation of the standing of its leading business houses. Large and progressive houses handling complete stocks and supplying a widespread trade represent the retail and manufacturing trade of Plano. Their products include dry goods, groceries, meats, jewelry, boots and shoes, clothing, hardware, confectionery, bakeries, cigars and tobacco, furniture, pianos, grain elevators, hotels, flour, lumber, carriages, farm implements, coal, tile, brick, bicycles, machinery, etc. The interests are remarkable in their extent and variety. Every line is represented and that, too, in a full and creditable manner. The citizens of Plano and vicinity can find no possible excuse for visiting other cities to buy goods, as the same opportunities exist here. In addition, usually better prices can be made, as the expense of conducting business is trivial when compared to larger cities. A perusal of the articles, which follow show beyond a doubt, that Plano is far ahead of many sister cities in the volume and character of its enterprise. We, therefore, with pardonable pride point to the galaxy of business firms presented in this issue of the Kendall County News.
Plano House, R. C. Bristol, Proprietor
In the prolific use of printer's ink that is incident to the present age and generation, it is often the case that exaggeration of a more or less extended character is at times resorted to by writers. If they would only stop to reason they would at once see that facts would answer their purpose far better. Now, nothing of the above mentioned character is needed in writing of the hotel, the name of which heads this article. The success of a hotel depends upon its reputation among the traveling public. That is gained through the ability of the management to meet the demands of the guests in every detail. Such has been the fortune of the Plano House under the new management. Today it stands with as popular a reputation as any hotel in the State of Illinois. The present proprietor opened the house in September 1898. Noted improvements are the result of his painstaking attention. Water works, bathrooms, electric lights and a complete steam heating apparatus have been added to the premises. The hotel is modern and furnished in a most strictly up-to-date manner, thus rendering the sojourn of patrons more comfortable in all respects. The house is located on Main Street within easy reach of all business houses, the depot, and only a short distance from the post office. The twenty-four sleeping rooms are large, light and dry and furnished with the very best of beds that money can buy. The bill of fare under the direct supervision of Mr. Bristol is given especial attention, appetizingly cooked and served, in a courteous manner. A feature is the popularity, which the Sunday dinners at this place have gained. Countless numbers of families in the area, as well as from other towns, say it is a most agreeable experience to dine at Bristol's. There is a large spacious office, sample and sitting rooms in the hotel. It can be safely said that the "Plano House" in its present form is one of the best moderate priced hotels "on the road," and Mr. Bristol will at all times be found a most genial host to his guests.
The Paradise Store, Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots & Shoes
The popular store of Mr. Harry Paradise is regarded as a representative exponent of what this line of business has come to under the stimulating effects of ample resources, distinguished enterprise, business capacity of the highest order and unremitting energy and industry. These qualifications are readily apparent in the management of this house. This business was established one year ago, although Mr. Paradise has been in the same line here for the past three years. The store at Dirks' corner is handsomely fitted up and provided with service and all that modern exigencies the time's demand. A large stock is carried and represents all that is seasonable and strictly up to date in dry goods, fine clothing in the most fashionable designs. The store stocks boots, shoes, hats, caps, and gent's furnishings of every kind and description, which are the latest and always the proper style. The trade is drawn from all sections of the city, surrounding towns and intervening country. The house has an enviable reputation for offering the largest variety of goods at the lowest prices. All customers are treated in a courteous manner and only reliable goods are handled.
Isador Natkin, General Merchandise
One of the best and most prominent houses in Kendall County engaged in the handling of general merchandise is that of Mr. Isador Natkin, which was established in 1895. Able and enterprising, and backed by wide, practical experience, he soon placed himself in a front rank position, and built up a large trade. The premises occupied embrace the entire ground floor and basement of the Jones building, on Main Street, which has an area of 25 by 90 feet arranged to make an attractive appearance. A vast and varied stock is carried on hand. The assortment is represented in all that is best in American and European merchandise, embracing everything comprehended under the general heads of fancy dry goods, notions, yarns, infants' goods, fancy work, clothing, boots, shoes, groceries, etc. An extra large line of ladies' jackets, capes and dress goods, in the very latest styles for fall and winter wear, now on hand, are attracting a great deal of attention. Mr. Natkin purchases his goods in large quantities, and by getting discounts, he is able to give his patrons the direct benefit by quoting low cash prices. He has had a long experience with this trade, and understands its wants thoroughly.
F. W. Coffman, Groceries, Provisions and Queensware
The grocery business occupies a most important position in the commerce of every business center. Mr. Coffman's store includes almost every necessary article of food. Included are the products of every country of the world. The necessity of obtaining such supplies in their freshness and purity is apparent to every person of ordinary intelligence. The house of F. W. Coffman in Plano is a popular, reliable and prosperous house in this business and enjoys a well earned reputation for handling pure and first class goods, and fair and square dealing. The premises occupied are equipped with every convenience for the successful transaction of business. The stock is always fresh and complete. It includes fine staple and fancy groceries, foreign and domestic fruits, country produce, provisions, teas, flour, glassware, queensware, etc. Order, system and cleanliness are fully observed, while polite assistants serve patrons promptly. Orders are delivered to residences free of charge. Mr. Coffman established the business in 1893. For four years prior to that time the C. B. & Q. Railroad employed him. He is a member of Woodmen, and favorably liked by the trade.
W. W. Owen & Co., Furniture & Undertaking
This business was established about twelve years ago. The partnership of W. W. Owen and J. A. Mahan was formed one year ago. With the increase in trade, more room was constantly required until at present they occupy three large floors for sales and storage of an immense stock of plain and artistic furniture, elegant parlor, and chamber sets. Everything calculated to furnish a house luxuriously or comfortably could be here secured. The vocation of the undertaker is certainly a peculiar and delicate one. To thoroughly prosecute it requires a faculty of sympathetic attention to alleviate the misfortune of friends and relatives of the deceased. After an experience of years in this vocation, Mr. J. A. Mahan seems well qualified. By personal attention he is prepared to supply all its requirements. He uses the latest and most improved process in embalming, and takes charge of funerals from the time of death to the last rites at the grave. Caskets are always kept in stock and also a full line of robes, habits, etc. Mr. Owen has always been one of our foremost businessmen and has the confidence of the people. He was a member of the school board and is ex-president of the Plano Implement Company. Mr. Mahan is a thoroughly posted man in the business. The firm is most reliable to deal with.
Mrs. G. D. Henning, Millinery & Ladies Furnishings
It is very essential in any locality where society predominates that a first-class millinery and ladies' furnishing institution be established for the convenience of the gentler sex. Plano ladies can congratulate themselves for having in their midst for about one year, Mrs. G. D. Henning. Mrs. Henning makes regular trips to Chicago for leading styles, and is one of the most skilled milliners in this section of the country. Her parlors are located in the Henning block, and are nicely arranged, where an established trade makes regular calls for the styles that are in fashion. Besides her Plano customers she has patrons from the adjoining towns and country. The fact that they even come from a distance is most positive proof of the high manner of work, and the styles are always correct. She keeps a fine line of embroidery silks, yarns, stamp goods and art material. The ladies have rapidly become aware of the fact that she understands how to buy them too. All the ladies who contemplate purchasing anything in that line, and have an eye for the artistic, should call and inspect the many pretty things she has in stock.
F. H. Lord, Druggist & Physician
The vocation of a pharmacist is an important one in any community. On his skill and care, almost as much as the medical profession, depends the physical welfare of patients. The above gentleman, who is among the most favorably known in this section of the state, represents both professions. Dr. Lord began practicing here 25 years ago, adding the drug department two years later. The store in the Union block has a large area and is attractively fitted up throughout. The stock of drugs includes everything usually needed in this trade, consisting of pharmaceutical preparations, patent medicines, physicians' supplies, fine perfumery, school supplies, stationery, and all fancy articles to be found in a first-class drug store. The proprietor is a conscientious pharmacist and can be relied upon for the exact scientific compounding of prescriptions and family recipes, while charges are moderate. Dr. Lord hails from Connecticut, graduated from Rush Medical College of Chicago, and afterward took a post-graduate course at New York City. After the great Chicago fire he was assistant superintendent of the Central Dispensary and was active in rendering relief services to those victims. His store is a popular one, and he stands high in both business and professional circles.
Jeter & Boston, Lumber, Coal & Building Material
One of the most widely known dealers in the line of business heading this article is the firm of L. J. Jeter and W. T. Boston. Their extensive interests at this place and Yorkville have caused the people of this country to become familiar with their name. Upon entering Plano the large buildings, sheds warehouses and drives used in handling of lumber, coal, lime, hair, stucco, cement, laths, shingles, doors, blinds, etc., will be seen at once. The space utilized for conducting the business occupies a large tract of land adjoining the C. B. & Q. Railroad. This firm does an enterprising business for twenty miles around, and has been established at Yorkville since 1880. Both are lumbermen of reputation and will be found prompt and liberal in all business transactions. Mr. C. E. Jeter is manager of the Plano yard.
D. J. Sheer, Livery, Feed & Sale Stable
Opposite the Plano House, near the corner of Main Street, is located the livery, feed and sale stable of Mr. D. J. Sheer that bears the highest reputation of keeping fine rigs and equipages. The manner of service is of the best order. Private families, individuals or the traveling pubic, desiring single or double rigs can be supplied at all times. Both satisfaction and moderate prices are guaranteed. Sheer and Henning began to operate this establishment as a first-class livery; feed and sale stable April 10, 1897. It came into the possession of Mr. D. J. Sheer December 22, 1897. It has been operated on those lines ever since. Mr. Sheer is a Plano boy. He is held in esteem by all his acquaintances, and is an enthusiastic horseman.
Note: Due to a poor photocopy, the compiler was unable to compile the following sections: Applegate Dry Goods & Groceries; Jones Staple & Fancy Goods; and Morris Groceries, Crockery & Glassware.
Henry Stahlle General Hardware, Stoves & Machinery
The deservedly popular general hardware and farm machinery house of Mr. Henry Stahlle is in all respects one of the leaders of its kind in Illinois. From inception it has gained a strong hold on public favor, and is one of the largest concerns in the county. L. D. Lathrop, who was succeeded by Mr. Henry Stahlle September 15, of this year, established the business long ago. Its history from the first has been a record of steady progress. The patronage of the house growing and extending until it is now large, prosperous and permanent. He is located on Main Street, occupying a store 22 by 80 feet in dimensions with a basement. The various departments are well ordered and equipped in every way. A heavy and first-class stock is carried on hand, and includes everything in the hardware trade, stoves, farm machinery, agricultural implements, paints, oils, glass, ammunition, etc. In the repair shop all kinds of tin, sheet iron, copper and galvanized ironwork is done promptly. Furnace work, steam fitting, plumbing, tin roofing, pumps and windmill are a speciality and are executed by reliable hands. This is the oldest hardware stand in town. Mr. Stahlle was our former postmaster for one term. He stands high in the Masons' Blue Lodge and Woodmen fraternities.
E. Bennett, M. D. & Druggist
Purity in drugs and medical compounds is a speciality on which Dr. I. E. Bennett has built a reputation. The business was established in 1898, although he has been practicing here for the past 21 years. He is located in the Henning block. The institution is one of the best in the city. The stock carried is full and complete, consisting of a full line of superior quality drugs and chemicals, patent medicines, sundries, perfumery, a full line of toilet articles and stationery. He carries the largest stock paints, oils, varnishes, stains, enamels, carriage paints and varnish, dry color, etc., in town. The compounding of prescriptions and family recipes is a feature in which the house takes special pains to excel. This department has the fullest and most careful attention of Dr. Bennett, accuracy and purity being guaranteed. Nothing but strictly pure and fresh drugs are ever permitted in stock. They are purchased direct from leading and reliable wholesale and importing houses. Dr. Bennett is a graduate of the University of Buffalo, one of the best medical colleges in the world. His professional services have won for him the respect of the entire community.
Steward Brothers Bank
Kendall County is fortunate in the sound character of its numerous banking institutions. Perhaps no one element in a business community contributes so largely too solid and permanent prosperity as correct banking methods. In a town where the banks are conducted carefully, while at the same time giving the merchants all the co-operation consistent with safety, it will invariably be found that failures are few and business is conducted on proper lines. Reckless banking begets reckless business generally. Therefore, the facts that trade and manufacture in Plano, following the recent hard times, are on a sound financial footing, speaks volumes for the banks. Among the banks of the country none rank higher, as a financial institution than Steward Brothers' bank. Their high esteem is based on the bank's merits and the individual responsibility of the proprietors. The business came into the hands of these gentlemen in September 1897. A conservative policy has ever been the watchword. As a result, today no bank in northern Illinois enjoys a better reputation for soundness. This institution does a general banking business, loaning money, buying and selling exchange, discounting good paper, receiving deposits, etc. It has always maintained a reputation of the highest order for the superior management of its affairs.
C. M. VanKirk Home Bakery, Confectionery, Cigars, Tobacco, Fruits, Etc.
Another noteworthy and reliable establishment in our city that has gained widespread popularity is the home bakery, confectionery and tobacco store of Mr. C. M. VanKirk, located on Main Street. This enterprise was established in June 1895, and the public has learned to appreciate that it leads in its line. He occupies a neatly arranged store and is well provided with ovens and other facilities and all conveniences necessary. Bread, fancy and plain, biscuits, cakes and pies of all kinds are baked her in first-class style. They are in great demand because of their attractive appearance and the light, wholesome and digestible character. Mr. VanKirk sells more cigars, tobacco, fruits and candies than any other firm in town does. In addition, he handles flour, gasoline, kerosene, deals in potatoes, etc. He was connected with McCormick Harvesting Machinery Co. as Superintendent of the canvas department for nine years and was later with the Plano Harvester Co. Mr. VanKirk is a pleasing gentleman to deal with. When wishing anything in his line, give him a call for you will never regret it.
The LaDue Drug Store, B. D. LaDue, M. D.
Very notable and gratifying success has been made in all branches of pharmacology in the United States within recent years. Serious results from incompetence or carelessness have become comparatively unknown in compounding and dispensing in these days. However, it is in the nature of things that people still pin their faith to pharmacists of established reputations for experience and skill in the industry. Such a concern is that of Dr. B. D. LaDue, who established himself as a general practitioner of medicine about eight years ago, at the same time buying the drug business of J. M. ______, located on the corner of Main and ______ Streets. The store is stocked with everything known to the trade, including drugs, jewelry, sundries of every description, wallpaper, paints, oils, stationery, and all kinds of toilet articles. This establishment is one of the largest and most complete houses of that nature, not only in Plano, but also in the entire neighborhood. A registered clerk and assistant and an expert jeweler, with the doctor's management, make this one of the liveliest places of business in town.
Churches & Schools
The citizens of Plano are pre-eminently a moral and cultured people. The number of churches and the excellent school facilities evidences this. Able and popular pastors preside over the churches and labor zealously in the building up of their respective congregations and the community at large. The school is under the immediate supervision of Professor J. B. Freebern, one of the most accomplished and successful educators in the state. Professor Freebern is assisted by the following teachers: Misses Julia Patton, Nellie Auten, Irene Oakey, Loetta F. Boyd, Catharine McDonnell, Margaret Livingston, Lillian Andrews, Nellie M. Jay and Mary E. Catherwood. The high standard of excellence to which the school of Plano has attained is indisputable evidence that the educational interests of the town could not be in more efficient hands. The building is an imposing structure, three stories in height, built of the very best pressed brick and red sandstone, displaying much originality, and it is a beauty to behold. It contains ten large classrooms, two playrooms, office, toilet rooms, etc. The interior decorations are designs of the highest workmanship. The most improved system of hot air heating and perfect ventilation assures the five hundred pupils better protection in the winter and relief in the summer months. Truthfully speaking, the Plano City school is one of the finest and handsomest in the United States.
John H. Smith & Son, Real Estate & Insurance
There is no class of men in a city or town who add more to its enterprise than its real estate men. If the real estate is kept on a steady move upward it tends to keep general business good. This activity is, in a large measure, due to the energy and shrewdness of the men in charge. We find such men in the firm of John H. Smith & Son, who we believe, have handled as much real estate as anybody in this neighborhood. Mr. John H. Smith inaugurated the business in 1874. His son Ivan L. Smith became a partner ten years ago. They deal in city and farmlands, take charge of rentals, etc. They are also agents for a number of leading and reliable insurance companies, which are recognized among the foremost of the world. The firm has paid to policyholders over $150,000 in losses. Mr. Smith dates his residence here 45 years back. He was previously engaged in mercantile trade for ten years. He has seen every building erected which now stands in Plano. The agency is a reliable one and all business entrusted to this firm have the same attention as their own interests.
James VanKirk, Fine Footwear
The boot and shoe trade takes a very prominent position in the world of trade and the greatest activity in this essential industry is at all times noticeable. Mr. James VanKirk is owner of the only exclusive boot and shoe house in Plano. His store on Main Street is the daily resort of scores of people and his footwear is noted for the neatness and correctness of shape. He makes a specialty of fitting peculiarly shaped feet, as well as perfect feet. When you see a well fitted shoe worn by anyone in Plano or vicinity you can be assured that they came from VanKirk's. He keeps in stock the highest, as well as a line of more reasonable goods. In the men and ladies' footwear are found the line of R. P. Smith and I. P. Farnum, of Chicago, which have no superior. He also carries a full line of men, boy's and ladies' rubbers. Special attention is called to his line of heavy shoes, the production of Walter Anglemire, Rockford. Mr. VanKirk has been a custom boot and shoemaker since 1889 and is a thoroughly practical man in every branch of the industry. His method is to keep the leading goods in fashion, and to avoid carrying one season' s stock over to the next. His method of conducting the store is very systematic. His fine line of fall and winter shoes is now ready. He is a successful businessman in every way.
J. B. Robbins, Livery, Feed & Sale Stable
Mr. J. B. Robbins, whose large livery, feed and sale stable is located on Plain Street, in one of the leading liveryman of this section. He has some of the finest carriages and buggies in town, and everything is the best and most stylish. He makes a specialty of hiring rigs to families for any length of time wanted. His services at weddings, funerals, etc., are of the best possible manner. Traveling men are particularly catered to. Only the most careful drivers, who are thoroughly acquainted with all the roads, are engaged. Horses are boarded by the day or month. The stables are arranged with the best equipment in the entire county and can accommodate for forty horses. Mr. Robbins has operated this business successfully for almost twenty years. He came to this township in 1835 and has remained here since. He served as assessor of the township for six years. He was also a school director of District No. 1. He is one of our reliable pioneer citizens.
Jeter & Jeter, Grain Elevator
Situated on the Burlington Railroad siding, near Main Street, is the large elevator of Messrs. L. J. Jeter and C. E. Jeter, who succeeded W. F. Ross in April 1898. They offer the best inducements for grain of all kinds and pay the highest possible prices consistent with current market quotations. They conduct the elevator in a successful manner. Their reputation for business methods is such as to inspire the full confidence of their patrons, which covers the intervening country and surrounding towns. The capacity of the elevator is 20,000 bushels. They are also equipped for grinding, which is done to the entire satisfaction of the farming trade. They thereby hold a large portion of the farming trade in our town, which would otherwise go to other points. Mr. L. J. Jeter devotes his time in the grain interests at Yorkville, while his son C. E. Jeter, a very enterprising young businessman, supervises the transactions at Plano.
F. S. Erwin, Meats
This is in all respects one of the neatest and best kept meat markets in the neighborhood. Purchasers here are always assured of getting a superior article, satisfactory attention and courteous treatment. The store, located on Main Street, is nicely fitted up and admirably kept. A large stock is continually carried, including all kinds of fresh, salted and smoked meats, home rendered lard. Spring chickens, fish, oysters and game are stocked in season. One of the features is supplying hotels and restaurants. Mr. Erwin understands all the ins and outs of the business and is a master butcher. He makes all the sausage and lard handled. The hams and bacon, which are smoked on the premises, are not to be excelled. Mr. Erwin was with C. M. Lawson for 15 years and started for himself one year ago, succeeding A. W. Thurow. He was born and raised among us, and holds the office of Constable. As a member of the Odd Fellow and Woodmen fraternities he is very active.
Wallace Parker, Harness & Turf Goods
Leather is one of the most important commodities the people have to invest in. This is particularly true related to harness. Consequently, the question as to who handles the best quality of goods and quotes the most reasonable prices is often asked. We refer with pleasure to the establishment of Mr. Wallace Parker. He conducts one of the best stocked stores in this section. He is a skilled workman who turns out an excellent class of best grade harness and trimmings. In addition, he carries in stock all kinds of light and heavy, single or double harness, cut out of the best oak leather; saddles, whips, collars, bridles, lap robes, horse blankets and horse goods generally. Mr. Parker is a harness manufacturer of 37 years experience, establishing his present business in 1891. He is an enthusiastic lodge man and is identified with Mason's Blue Lodge of Plano, Chapter of Sandwich, and a charter member of the Modern Woodmen, having paid every assessment since the institution of that order.
City Meat Market, W. H. Lawson, Proprietor
In connection with the meat trade of the city, prominent notice must be given to the reputable establishment of Mr. W. H. Lawson, on the north side of Main Street. This enterprise was started about 30 years ago by his father, Mr. C. N. Lawson, took charge this past winter and has steadily grown in public favor. Mr. Lawson is practical and proficient in every detail and has acquired a high reputation as a butcher. A complete and clean stock is always kept, which will demand and retain that classes of customers who believe quality goods are the cheapest. This house has always been known for its promptness and high manner of doing business. Mr. Lawson has always enjoyed the best of reputations. He is a member of the Mason's Blue Lodge and Odd Fellows, and is too well known to require any further personal mention from the writer.
G. W. VanKirk, Tonsorial Artist
The handsome barbershop of Mr. G. W. VanKirk is located on Main Street. It is universally agreed there is no superior shop in this section. His room is large, sumptuously furnished, and contains all modern accommodations for the comfort of patrons. He prides himself on having the best class of trade in town, and that the most gentlemanly conduct is at all times preserved about the premises. It is only necessary to observe the class of customers you see about the place to know that he is a skilled tonsorial artist. Two chairs are operated, and assistants are always the very best barbers he can engage. He also conducts a branch for the Sandwich Steam Laundry, fine work guaranteed. Mr. VanKirk is a native of Howard County, Indiana, but has lived in this state practically all his life, coming here when he was one year old. His brother Mr. Eugene VanKirk assists him in business.
O. J. Bapst, Tonsorial Artist & Laundry Office
The oldest instituted custom in the history of mankind is that of removing the hair from the face. Way back in scriptural times through the present age this custom has been in vogue, until a distinct branch of trade came into existence known as barbering. Among the perpetuators of this trade is the gentleman whose name heads this article. He conducts one of the most popular tonsorial parlors in this district. His place is next to the Plano House, and is elegantly furnished. A line of cups speaks in silent accent of the high esteem in which his services are held. He represents the Chicago Steam Laundry of Aurora. Packages left in his shop before 8:45 a.m. on Friday will be returned Saturday evening. Mr. Bapst was at Sycamore for nine years before coming here. He is an expert artist and an enterprising young man.
S. B. Jay, Artistic Horse Shoeing
There is an art in everything, and it is important to have your horse shod by only those who are skilled in the art of horse shoeing. It is not only a matter of economy that this work should be done well, but is also necessary for the comfort and good condition of the animal. In the shop of Mr. S. B. Jay, which business was established by him six months ago, we find a man who is expertly skilled in all details of the art. His experience of over thirty years has made him practical in every sense of the word. No matter how bad the animal's hoofs may be, he can speedily "put him on his feet again." By superior workmanship he is always adding much new patronage. Mr. Jay was located at Sandwich five years, and is a native of Kendall County. It is to the credit of any place to have such an able exponent in this important industry as Mr. Jay. We join with all lovers of the horse in wishing him a still larger patronage.
S. Normandin, Republican Nominee for Sheriff
The office of sheriff is one of great importance. It carries with it a responsibility that requires a man possessed with more than ordinary courage and judgement, as well as one who has the ability to properly dispose of the demands of the public. Furthermore, it is an office of trust, where, if a person wished to betray his constituents, all the laws and rules of justice would count for naught. Instead of being properly imprisoned and punished, fugitives would be at large to the peril of our families and us. In the Republican nominee for sheriff, Mr. Samuel Normandin, we not only have an honest and honorable gentleman, but one who knows not what fear is, and whose sterling qualities are familiar to us all. His long term in office as Deputy Sheriff makes him in every way efficient for the place. He will be promoted from Deputy to Sheriff at the November election. He did not seek the office, but his many friends, who are ever true to him, begged and persuaded him to accept the nomination. Without attempting the difficult feat of forecasting the political future, the statement may safely be made that Mr. Normandin's career in the world of politics has not yet reached its zenith. If honesty of purpose, independence of character, fearlessness of judgement and broadmindedness of the highest type count for anything with the people of Kendall County it is a foregone conclusion that his election is certain.
Judge H. S. Hudson
The Republican nominee for County Judge of Kendall County has served his fellow men all his days. Hardly any word of praise could be deemed extravagant. He was born at Worcester, Mass., and admitted to the bar in 1851. During the years 1856 to 1862 he practiced in Chicago. From Chicago he moved to Oswego and remained until 1865, when he was elected County Judge. In political life, Judge Hudson has attained decided success without the sacrifice of self respect or of any qualities that should be dearer than the highest measure of success as sometimes estimated. No better proof of his ability and the manner in which he has administered justice could possibly be presented than the fact that he is now presiding on this eighth term, or 32nd consecutive year in the office for which he has been nominated to succeed himself. It will be interesting to his friends and constituents to know that our venerable Judge Hudson has been presiding longer than any individual in the entire state with only one exception. He has tendered the re-nomination without opposition. At the coming November election, a handsome majority will again elect him.
Clarence S. Williams, Candidate for County Treasurer
The Republican nominee for County Treasurer was born in Cook County, this state. At an early age his parents moved to Newark, where he received his education, and has resided there ever since. He has been prominently connected with the business interests of our county. He is one of the most prominent young men in his town, having attained the highest standing both in social life and with his business associates. He has always evinced the liveliest interest in matters pertaining to the public welfare. His brilliant mental attainments and genial disposition have won him highest regard among all classes. He is recognized by all as a young man of strictest integrity of character. Mr. Williams has always taken a deep interest in politics, and keeps himself informed on all questions. He is a young man of high ideas, believing firmly in the principles of "government of the people and by the people." Naturally, he has always been one of the warmest adherents and supporters of the Republican Party. No better choice could have been made, and if elected the people of the county may be sure that the office will be conducted on strict business principles. It is needless to say that Mr. Williams will fully appreciate all efforts and support on his behalf, from whatever quarter.
H. Obermeyer, Sample Room
This establishment was started by Mr. Obermeyer in 1889 and has always been conducted in a first-class manner. He came here from Naperville in 1884 to engage in the manufacturer of cigars. He still does some business in that line. Mr. Obermeyer keeps a thoroughly equipped bar with pure native wines, imported and American liquors and beers; also a full line of choice cigars and soft beverages. In stock is found the justly renounced "Schlitz beer that made Milwaukee famous," which is brewed from pure hops, and the celebrated Guckenheimer and Quaker rye whiskies. The best people all through the section, will vouch for the good treatment, and orderly conduct at all times, patronize the resort. Mr. Obermeyer has many friends throughout this section.
I. Dow, Sample Room
Mr. I. Dow is well known to everybody in this neighborhood and requires no introduction. His place is located in Shults' building and is always conducted in a strict and orderly manner. Wines, liquors and cigars of the choicest and best brands only are kept in stock. Among which are Schiltz's beer, both bottled goods and keg beer, "Old Special" and "Private" whiskies and Geneva gin, which is recommended by physicians. Mr. Dow came in possession of the business last spring, but had been employed by his predecessor, Mr. Shults, for several years. No expense has been spared to make this a resort of the highest character, and all admirers of fancy concoctions can be satisfied here. Mr. Dow enjoys a good patronage and is well liked by the boys.