Oswego Business Directory in September 1852
Compiled advertisements published in the September 22, 1852 Kendall County Courier
Published at Oswego, Illinois
Edited and compiled by Elmer Dickson
From the advertisements we learn that L. B. Judson was agent for an insurance company with capital of $100,000. The Kendall House and the National Hotel invited the public to stay with them for a reasonable price. A. B. Ives was a solicitor in Chancery, and A. B. Smith offered to perform legal business for the Ninth Judicial Circuit. J. W. Helme, W. P. Boyd, M. A. Fenton and Wright Murphy were also practicing law. There appeared to be no shortage of legal advice available in Oswego.
Festus Burr was a Justice of the Peace and located in Ives' building. E. D. Bradley and Paul Hawley promised to collect accounts as constables.
Dr. Jewell who had an office "at the old stand." Dr. C. B. Fox's office was located opposite the Congregational Church. Dr. M. R. Ballard was a botanic physician.
J. S. Rake was a "fashionable tailor." E. J. Gault did house, sign and carriage painting. Warner & Company, opposite the National Hotel dealt in general merchandise and sold "good brandy an wines expressly for the sick."
The Oswego Debating Club was to meet at the courthouse to discuss "non-intervention with other governments."
The firm of Chapman, Reynolds & Company was dissolved by mutual consent. J. W. Chapman to settle all accounts.
Mrs. Susan Duryea gave notice as administratrix, of a petition to sell certain property in Yorkville, in the estate of the late Rulief S. Duryea.
Mrs. S. M. Gos had a class in painting and the following persons attested to her competency as a teacher: Mary A. Little, Harriet Butler, Lodemia Morgan, Mary Jane Hall, Frank VanAlstine, Elizabeth Strong, Albert J. Ives, and W. Dunham.
John Moore wanted 5000 good spokes for carriage building. Thomas Smith kept the old established meat market and dealt in candles and neatsfoot oil. Keables and Palmer did the cabinet ware business for Oswego. William P. and Charles F. Richardson kept the Aux Sable Nursery and sold Hovey's seedlings. Charley Samse was at the old stand of C. L. Murdock as a tailor who would try to suit all customers. Russell Whiting was selling No. 1, Osage hedge plants for $5.00 a thousand, and was enthusiastic in their praise.
C. Kempf made and repaired wagons over Bartlett's blacksmith shop. J. B. Stafford kept the "Oswego Boot and Shoe Store." C. Sutherland was located two doors south of the post office with a splendid assortment of boots, shoes and leather. T. H. Jenneson dealt in family groceries and was grateful for past patronage. John W. King did the hardware business and sold chains and cistern pumps. Frederick Coffin was established opposite the post office and sold groceries wholesale or retail to all that came.
Samuel Roberts offers the West Oswego Hotel, store and blacksmith shop for sale. J. T. Green has a long advertisement of his store in Naperville, then a thriving point.
N. A. Fenton was the postmaster at Oswego.