Newark Business Directory 7-1866
Newark in July 1866
Published in the Kendall County Record, July 12, 1866
Edited and compiled by Elmer Dickson
Newark, on the western side of the county, is one of our oldest villages and was at one time known as Georgetown. In the old days of stagecoaches it was an important point, and a great deal of business was transacted there. Since the Burlington Railroad has been operation the trade has been less, though by no means entirely fallen off, for the surrounding country is rich in agriculture, and the farmers still cling to their first love, Newark.
On Tuesday we made a short call on our friends in that village, and made a few notes for the Record. We stopped with our hospitable friend R. W. Carns, Esq., with whom we always feel at home. We took a short look around town with him, calling first on Mr. Isaac Lott, to walk through his fruit garden, which, thought small, is complete. It contains a splendid showing of grapevines, well-filled with green fruit, and innumerable cuttings just breaking forth in their first leaves. His principal crop is raspberries, of which in the space of 60 by 160 feet he picks from ten to twelve bushes. Remember, this is only a village garden. The vines looked truly luxurious in their full fruitage. Why cannot all be supplied with this rich berry when it is so easily produced? Mr. Lott takes great pride in his garden, and well he may.
Taking a look at the churches, we noticed the Methodist Church with its fresh coat of paint, looking neat as a pin. The Baptist house was being improved by the addition of a belfry. The Congregational Church would be a handsome building if it had a steeple or cupola on it. As it is, it is a fine building and looks well preserved.
The hotel needs a coat of paint and some shutters. Painted up it would look well.
Newark is well supplied with stores of all kinds. First we mention that of Andrews & Carns, whose advertisement is in the paper, the only one from Newark. They keep a general assortment and have saleable goods. Their trade is good, and their dealing is honorable. A disinterested party told us that they sold goods as cheap as merchants in Sandwich. Brother Carns is getting broke into the harness and is fast making a successful merchant. There are also three other stores in the general trade. Mr. M. K. Booth and Messrs. Washburn & Lewis deal exclusively in groceries, of which they have fine stocks. Two large drug stores, owned by Mr. Thunemann and Mr. Manchester, are as well furnished as any in Aurora. Mr. P. Fritts keeps a large boot and shoe store, and fills all orders in a workmanlike manner. Several blacksmith shops and a wagon shop are also located here. We called on the postmaster, Mr. Albert Cook, and saw the neatest and best arrangement of post office boxes in the county. Mr. W. H. Fritts has a nice furniture store, where he sells all things in his line as cheap as any place in Sandwich or Aurora. He is kept busy in repairing and jobbing to order. Mr. Fritts should be sustained in his efforts to establish a permanent furniture warehouse. Next door to him is a very nice millinery store.
Fowler Institute is a neat structure of three stories situated on a corner lot with a commodious and pleasant yard around.
In our short stay we could not attend to all the minutia of business and progress in the town. However, we will take a longer look on a cooler day. We could not forget the steam sawmill of Messrs. White & Fowler, which is full of work at this time. These gentlemen will have a steam sorghum mill in operation in the fall.
Newark, with a little improvement, would make a handsome town. More shade trees are needed, and paint is needed on the houses, though it is no farther behind in that respect than other places in the county.