Sketch of Millington in July 1898
Misner Blacksmith Shop built circa 1845
A Sketch of Millington in July 1898
Improvements In The Village - Industries Once Active.
Edited and compiled by Elmer Dickson
A Millington writer (probably Albert E. Browne, a resident of Millington) sent the following sketch to the Aurora Beacon. The article was then picked up and published in the Kendall County Record July 20, 1898.
Not withstanding the close times, several improvements are in progress in this pretty railroad village down Fox River. Charles H. Pluess, the dry goods merchant, is having built on the boulevard, in LaSalle County, a handsome residence 28 X 34 feet, 20 feet high, with a kitchen 18 X 26 feet. When finished it will be one of the finest homes in either Kendall or LaSalle Counties. The home of his neighbor, Lewis Jones, a rich retired Welsh farmer, also situated on the boulevard, is on the verge of completion. It measures 28 X 32 feet and is in every regard a first class building. Dr. Julius A. Freeman, the veteran physician of that region, is also making an addition to his office on Railroad Street.
A couple of years ago Mr. Pluess purchased from the heirs to the J. N. Austin estate an old building on the Newark Road, a relic of rebellion time, built before the (Civil) war. This he had fixed up in good shape, and it is now like Paddy's musket, which had a new lock, stock and barrel, being as good or perhaps even better than when new. The residence on Vine Street bought last year by Mr. Russell, a retired farmer and a sister of Mrs. Freeman, from the widow of the late Andrew M. Shonts, now a resident in this city, has also undergone a thorough renovation. Apart from this, work continues but dull in that locality.
What is locally known as the new sand bank, or the American Silica Company, at present owned by the Diamond Plate Glass Co., of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, has been dismantled, the machinery taken out and shipped away. The other mine, the Potwin, the pioneer of its class on Fox River or perhaps in Illinois, continues shut down with no immediate prospect of a speedy start-up.
The Acme Cement Plaster Company, owned by the C. H. Rose Co., of Chicago, also the grist mill, owned by Rollin Culver, and the broom Factory, the property of George French, are all in working progress, although the old established steam tile mill, erected in 1879, and which shut down in August, 1895, remains with closed doors and as yet a remote prospect of its early resuming working operations. Had Mr. Jackson, the father of the village and resident partner of the concern survived, it would undoubtedly have been running right along as it is apparently a case of grandfather's clock, which as we all know, "stopped, never to go again, when the old man died." There is no reason why this should be so, as there exists even in the most depressed season from the local farmers a demand for Millington tile, to say nothing of the export trade. Perhaps this fall may yet see this concern in running order, if so it will help things along considerably.