Little Rock Business Directory in 1875
Little Rock, Illinois
By D. M. Corbin
Published in the Kendall County Record, April 15, 1875.
Edited and compiled by Elmer Dickson
We had occasion recently to visit that ancient town of Little Rock. Accepting an invitation by our friend, William H. Hall, to a seat in his buggy, we started taking the road which leads off Plain Street in our own famous little town (Plano) and east of Little Rock Creek. The weather was pleasant but the road a little heavy (muddy.) As this is a season of the year when the beauties of nature require a great stretch of imagination to discant on, we forbear.
An hour's ride brought us to the town. Alighting from the buggy we dropped in for a short visit with Joel Shults. We were highly pleased with the manner in which he attends to the various duties pertaining to his occupation. Everything about his barns was neat and attractive. A large hog pen erected some time ago is a model of perfection. We at once stamped Mr. Shults as a model farmer.
Our next visit was paid to the cheese factory which Mr. J. J. Shults and his sons are erecting, or remodeling, for it is the old store in which Dr. Brady, Lon Conklin and others did business many years ago. We were at once reminded in visiting the old store, of the many adventures, jokes, etc., of which Lon was always a principal. These adventures all happened before Hall was on earth the first time.
Leaving the old building, now nearly new, we bent our steps towards the residence of S. B. Bartlett. On our way we called on Mr. Jay, the village blacksmith. We found Mr. Jay very busy shoeing horses. He reported business brisk. S. B. Bartlett was found to be as jovial and kindly disposed as ever. He keeps the village store and carries a general stock of merchandise. We were met here by Andrew Scott and E. G. Tripp, who informed us that the cheese factory, which Mr. Hatch is erecting, was an object of particular interest.
As the factory was some distance off, we waited for our friend Hall to drive us there, which he did in good style. Of this building much could be said were it finished. We can only say that we believe the factory, when completed, will be second to none in the State. A description of the inside we leave for a future visit. The main portion of the building is 45 by 62 feet. A wing on the east side we failed to get dimensions of. The factory will probably be ready for business by the first of May. It has promise of an extensive patronage.
On our way home we fell in with "The Shoemaker," as he is familiarly called, Alfred Houghtaylen. He is a genial, happy gentleman, and a famous workman. Bidding Alf au revoir we were once more under way, and arrived in Plano in due season feeling brighter and happier for the visit.
Editor's Note: In the February 11, 1854, issue of The Little Rock Press, a newspaper published in Little Rock, the editor stated: This village has two hotels, three stores, some 150 inhabitants and is thickly settled in the country around.