Little Rock Business Directory in 1872
Published in the Kendall County Record, June 13, 1872.
By John R. Marshall
Edited and compiled by Elmer Dickson
Business calling us over to the village of Little Rock, Monday, we made a few notes in our mind of things as they appeared in that old and pleasant place.
The brick hotel, the Shults House has been closed to travelers. Business was insufficient to warrant the proprietor to keep it open as a public house. It has been the scene of many a gay party, and in stagecoach days was one of the liveliest places in the state. Now it has resumed the look of a private residence. A handsome picket fence reaches across the front from the eastern corner of the hotel to the western corner of the stable yard. Evergreens have been set out in the front yard and soon all vestiges of hotel days will be eradicated. Mr. Joel Shults lives there, and carries on the farm.
The school is in charge of Miss Jennie Cox, a lady who has taught here several terms, and is much liked and respected by parents and children. We made inquiries of several about her as a teacher. All had a good word for "Jennie." The school has been consolidated with both departments in one room. There are forty-five names enrolled. Edward's Readers and Spellers were introduced into the school last winter, from the first to the sixth grades. There are some fine scholars in the school.
Mr. A. Houghtaylen has been in the boot and shoe business in Little Rock since 1844. He still pursues his calling as smiling and cheerful as ever. Within the past year he has made many improvements on his premises, and has a very neat village property. In order that travelers may find accommodations in Little Rock, he has made arrangements to entertain man and beast at his place. Persons stopping in Little Rock will find his house a comfortable, homelike stopping place. His residence is just opposite the old hotel.
Mr. Bartlett is the only merchant in the place. His store is a great accommodation to the people of that section. The post office is located in his store. Uncle Sam supplies the mail twice a week, and by another arrangement special carriers bring the mail on the other days, giving a daily mail.
We spent a pleasant hour at the residence of Dr. Brady, one of the oldest citizens of the township, and a gentleman whom it is a pleasure to know. The doctor was Supervisor from Little Rock when the Record was first started. We have especial occasion to be grateful to him for his many encouraging words and acts at that time. As a friend he is firm and true. The doctor has two acres in the home place. Having occupied the place for thirty or forty years it looks more like the old eastern or southern homesteads than a western place. He has an abundance of fruit trees of various kinds, apples innumerable, a handsome black mulberry tree that yields abundantly every year, gooseberries, currants and strawberries. He raises most everything in that line. We think we saw half a dozen different kinds of peas growing. The shrubbery about the house, the hives and bee-house, the old fashioned well and grape arbor make one think of the old places we read of and dream of possessing. The doctor's good wife is an amateur florist, and raises all kinds of beautiful annuals. The flowering shrubs in the door-yard are of rare kinds and produce sweet flowers.