Helmar in 1896
Extracted from an article titled "Kendall's Beauty"
Published in the Kendall County News, May 28, 1896
Edited and compiled by Elmer Dickson
Helmar has a church and schoolhouse, two stores, post office, blacksmith shop, and feed mill. It is lively with business. The settlement is Norwegian, and the school scholars are studying the mother tongue. These thrifty people possess fine farms, and their buildings and stock show a keen knowledge of farming. They are growing in wealth and are a contented lot. As we turn to leave Mr. Fries' place we observe a miniature sailing vessel on the window. It is a bit of cunning from Bert Halburtson's hands. A true reproduction of a Norwegian ship, full rigged. Bert enjoys his winter evenings in modeling this craft.